So this is not a fitness related video or even a fitness related product review, like me you make fitness YouTube videos that require recording gear? In this video I showcase a neat little Lavalier (Lapel) Microphone called the RØDE SmartLav I picked up the other day. Mainly to let you know that the audio in many of my videos will sound a lot better since I will be wearing the RØDE SmartLav during any videos where I get away from the camera.
Camera Microphones usually sound pretty decent when you are up nice and close to them, but as you get further away from the camera (and built in camera mic), you start to sound like you are far away or in a cave. The room tone starts to get mixed in with your voice making the recording sound echoey and thin.
So in order to keep my voice sounding rich and clear, I will be wearing this RØDE SmartLav when I shoot videos that require me to be out front of the camera.
So what makes the RØDE SmartLav so "Smart"? The Smart part is that it works with a "Smart" Phone. All you need to do is plug the RØDE SmartLav into your smartphone, use a recording App like the RØDE Rec and record your voice directly to your Smartphone. Once you are finished your video shoot, you simply match up the audio to the video in your editing software and bingo - you have professional sounding voice audio in your videos.
And because you are recording "hard wired" directly into your iPhone or smart phone, there is no wireless signal to worry about which can often have interference or even cut right out. With the RØDE SmartLav you could literally walk a mile away from the camera and sound exactly as if you where right beside it.
So I think you understand the purpose for one of theses handy little Lapel mics, enjoy the improved audio in my future vids and for those tech savvy people out there, here are the specifications for the RØDE SmartLav:
- Acoustic Principle: Pressure Gradient
- Active Electronics: JFET
- Capsule: 0.10"
- Polar Pattern: Omnidirectional - picks up all sides equally
- Address Type: End
- Frequency Range: 20Hz - 20kHz (selected HPF @ 0)
- Output Impedance: 0Ω
- Sensitivity: -32.0dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (25.50mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
- Weight: 6.00gm
- Dimensions: 1180.00mmH x 4.50mmW x 4.50mmD
- Output: TRRS Output
- Warranty: 1 year
Another PR this week and while I am slowly cutting weight. Just goes to show that if you keep pushing yourself and train hard like any other day, you will get stronger!
My goal has been to hit a 200 pounds Shoulder Press and today I got it, mind you when I originally came up with this goal is was a about 15-20 pounds lighter, that said, a lot of this new added muscle weight is in my legs which doesn't help with the strict shoulder press in any way ;)
Still super happy to hit 200 pounds which on this day was 7 pounds over my body weight.
You can see how this workout effected my heart rate and how many calories I burned by clicking on this link:
I am super excited to announce that I will be offering Online Personal Training! I start off by taking on between 10-20 clients to start with until I can decide what my optimal Trainer to Client ratio is.
What I will be offering:
- Accountability - I will keep you on track!
- Maximize the time you have available to get the best results possible!
- My main focus will be clients 40+ since I know what you are going through and that you have busy lives and require flexible fitness programs.
- We will start off with preliminary goal setting communication to figure out what your commitment level is and what we need to do to get you to where you want to be in terms of Health and Fitness and types of workouts best suited to you.
- There will be full interaction between my clients and myself via online web application that also supports iOS and Android devices.
- You will have access to interactive preset workout schedules with detailed workouts including animated 3D videos along with my own custom workout videos as required.
- The workout schedule can be adjusted by the client as required and I will also know when a workout is completed, along with how the client felt during that workout and if they have any workout notes they want to share with me.
- My program will offer full nutritional logging that is shared with the client and myself so I can track how your nutrition is going and make suggestions to help reach your goals.
- Full comprehensive communication via email and within the online application.
Pricing is yet to be determined but will be in line with other online personal trainer pricing.
Space is limited, so send me an email if you are interested and I will let you know the details as soon as everything is ready to go.
I am always a bit reluctant to go for any crazy PR's. My advice to us older folks is to stay healthy, an injury can really set you back so when doing PR's you have to know your bodies limitations.
I had done a single rep PR of 450 before this so I knew I had at least one rep at 453 pounds in me and the set before I did 403 for three reps and it was hard but went up smooth. So I though, why not go for it?
Everything went well, got my three reps and no rips or tears or snaps which is the main thing :) My long term goal is to hit 500 pounds at some point but I will be sticking at the 450 weight until I can rep them out for 5-7 reps first.
You can see how this workout effected my heart rate and how many calories I burned by clicking on this link.
UPDATE: Today a week later I did 5 reps at 453 pounds and this was after some pretty intensive Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday workouts!